Ted Tzovaras is an accomplished practising lawyer with extensive and varied experience in commercial litigation and alternative dispute resolution, and commercial transactions, corporate matters in Australia and internationally, spanning almost four decades. He has acted as an instructing solicitor and appeared as an advocate in commercial litigation, international arbitration and criminal proceedings. He has acted as a legal representative in respect of major and complex commercial transactions and corporate matters.
He is a Solicitor and Barrister of the Supreme Courts of New South Wales, Victoria, Western Australia and the Australian Capital Territory, and Solicitor of the High Court of Australia and all federal courts of Australia.
He has practised extensively, and has represented clients, in commercial disputes in court, international arbitration, and other alternative dispute resolution proceedings, in Australia and abroad, including Hong Kong, Singapore, Indonesia, Thailand, Laos, Abu Dhabi and Dubai.
In Australia, he has acted as an instructing solicitor and appeared as an advocate in commercial and other litigation before both inferior and superior courts, including the Supreme Courts’ of New South Wales, Western Australia and Victoria, the NSW Land and Environment Court, the Federal Court of Australia and the High Court of Australia (on special leave to appeal applications).
Areas of particular note in which he has practised, and continue to practice, include:
- complex construction and related disputes;
- environmental planning appeals;
- shareholders disputes;
- corporate matters, including breach of directors’ duties, oppressive conduct, winding up on just and equitable grounds and insolvency;
- contract and commercial disputes;
- medical and other professional negligence claims;
- international trade and shipping disputes;
- passing off, trademarks and copyright infringement;
- misleading or deceptive conduct and misrepresentations;
- equity and trusts, deceased estates, and caveat disputes;
- breach of mortgagee’s duty, guarantees, unconscionable conduct and undue influence; and
- corporate civil and criminal offences, including insider trading, and white-collar crime matters.
He has acted as a legal representative and has negotiated, structured, documented and advised in respect of major and complex commercial transactions and corporate matters in Australia and abroad. A number of these involved negotiating and documenting international trade transactions and joint ventures in the mineral resources and agribusiness sectors with participants from Australia, Indonesia, Bahrain, China, Korea, Thailand and Laos.
The commercial and corporate areas in which he has represented clients, and continues to practice include acquisitions, divestments, IPOs, private equity and other forms of fundraising, corporate restructuring, intellectual property, finance and securities, property development, planning, design and architectural and project management services, construction, project structuring, partnerships, estate planning, trusts, shareholdings, joint ventures, international transactions and foreign investment.
Although Ted has predominantly practised as a commercial lawyer, throughout his years of practice, he has acted as a legal representative and an advocate in respect of a variety of criminal matters, including insurance and white-collar fraud, insider trading, taxation offences, perjury and attempt to pervert the course of justice offences, drug trafficking offences, and violence offences including assault causing grievous bodily harm and threat to kill. He has appeared as an advocate in Federal, State and Territory inferior and superior courts in bail, committal, summary and sentencing hearings, and instructed counsel at trial and on appeal of indictable offences.
- Bachelor of Laws, University of Sydney 1980.
- Master of Laws, University of Technology, Sydney 1991.
- Master of Business Administration, Macquarie Graduate School of Management 2000.
- Diplôme Supérieur de Français d’Affaires, Chambre de Commerce et D’Industrie de Paris 1996.
- Mediation Certificate, Australian Commercial Dispute Centre 1993.
- Certificate of International Commercial Arbitration, University of New South Wales 2006.
- Diploma in International Commercial Arbitration, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, UK 2007.
- Solicitor and Barrister of the Supreme Courts of New South Wales, Victoria, Western Australia and the Australian Capital Territory, and Solicitor of the High Court of Australia.
- Member of the Law Society of NSW.
- Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (UK and Australia) (2007).
- Fellow of the Australian Institute of Company Directors (1992).
- Member of the Lao Bar Association (2012)